Picture
Solar panels on the roof of the Koske school center.
There are 400 solar panels on the roof of the Koski school center. About 11 percent of the school center's energy needs are produced with the help of the panels.

Climate work concerns everyone

27.5.2022 19:19
Imatra's carbon dioxide emissions have decreased by more than 50 percent in fifteen years.

The goal of the city of Imatra is to be carbon neutral in 2030.

It means that greenhouse emissions in the city area will be reduced by 80 percent compared to 2007. The remaining 20 percent is reduced with emission credits.

Climate work has been done at Imatra for 15 years. A tighter grip on climate issues was taken in 2019, when the city joined the Hinku network of carbon-neutral municipalities.

The work has paid off: emissions are now 51 percent less than in 2007.

The measures are collected in the climate meter 

The city does climate work in many different areas.

Climate actions have been collected in the website of the entire city group To the climate meter.

- There are currently 51 climate acts on the meter. Some of them are small practical matters, some are larger entities, climate coordinator of the city of Imatra Jani Männikko says.

An example of a small measure is, for example, the goal to reduce the use of plastic serving containers at city events.

On the other hand, a larger-scale measure is, for example, minimizing the use of fossil fuels and heating properties in a climate-friendly manner.

The city's properties are being moved to use greener forms of energy, for example district heating. On the other hand, there is a solar power plant on the roof of the Koski school, which produces 11 percent of the school's energy needs.

The implementation of climate measures is regularly monitored. The information is updated in Climate Meter twice a year. The update is currently in progress.

There's a lot to do

Climate work is long-term work. Results are not achieved in a year or two. You will never be ready.

- The climate perspective should be taken into account in all activities. Entrepreneurs, for example, must also be involved. And still the city as an organization must continue and deepen its work, says Männikkö.

Reducing emissions is part of comprehensive risk management, reminds acting mayor Matias Hilden.

- Today, we can clearly see how important it is to break away from fossil energy. Fortunately, Imatra knew how to make important solutions in this regard already a decade ago. Of course, there is still plenty of work to do.

Even small things can make a difference

In addition to the city organization, city residents can also participate in climate work.

Emissions can be reduced even at home with small actions, advises Männikkö.

- A large part of climate effects is caused by heating. You can easily influence it, for example, by lowering the living temperature a little.

Another everyday habit is to pay attention to movement.

- Flying and driving can be avoided if possible. Instead of an airplane or your own car, you can sometimes choose a train, bike, bus or your own feet as a means of transportation.

In light of the statistics, many people from Imatra have already taken action.

According to the Finnish Environment Institute, the greenhouse emissions of the average Matra resident are 4,2 tons, while the average emissions in Finland as a whole are 5,7 tons.

- This is a great trend, Männikkö is happy.

Once a month, Imatra opens the background of current affairs on this page. You can influence which topics are discussed on the page. Answer the survey: imatra.fi/taustaslakymä.